Invasive Plant Research and Extension in Southern California links
- California Invasive Plant Council (Cal-IPC) - Based in Berkeley, the California Invasive Plant Council is dedicated to finding solutions to problems caused by non-native pest plants invading the state's natural areas. Membership includes land managers, consultants, scientists, planners, non-profit organizations, and volunteers who participate in working groups. Cal- IPC maintains their own pest plant list prioritizing the worst offenders to California's wildlands. The organization also holds an annual statewide symposium.
- California Weed Science Society (CWSS) - The California Weed Science Society provides information exchange on weed science and technology through an annual conference, publications, and other activities; advises stakeholders on matters pertaining to weeds; facilitates cooperation among individuals, agencies, and organizations; encourages careers in weed science; and promotes professional growth and interaction for its members in California. Their website features information about the annual conference and publications.
- Weed Research and Information Center (WeedRIC) - Housed on the UC Davis campus, the Weed Research and Information Center's mission is to foster research in weed management and facilitate distribution of knowledge gained for the benefit of agriculture and the preservation of natural resources. WeedRIC conducts annual weed science schools for working professionals and hosts a weed workgroup made up of UC faculty, USDA scientists, and Cooperative Extension personnel. The website contains a wealth of information about specific weeds and control
- Weed Science Society of America (WSSA) - The WSSA is a non-profit professional society, that promotes research, education, and extension outreach activities related to weeds; provides science-based information to the public and policy makers; fosters awareness of weeds and their impacts on managed and natural ecosystems.
- Western Society of Weed Science (WSWS) - WSWS Objectives; To foster and encourage education and research in weed science. To foster cooperation among state, federal and private agencies in matters of weed science. To aid and support commercial, private and public agencies in the solution of weed problems. To support legislation governing weed control programs and weed research and education programs. To support the Weed Science Society of America and foster state and regional organizations and agencies interested in weed control.
Cooperative Extension Regional and County Offices
- CE Central Coast and South Region
- CE Central Valley Region
- CE North Coast and Mountain Region
- Cooperative Extension County Offices
- Research and Information Centers - The RICs are commodity-specific focal points for UC researchers and private and public constituencies that provide resource and information development.
- UC Berkeley College of Natural Resources
- UC Davis College of Agriculture & Environmental Science
- UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine
- UC Riverside College of Natural & Agricultural Science
Research and Extension Centers
- Desert Research & Extension Center
- Hopland Research & Extension Center
- Intermountain Research and Extension Center
- Kearney Research & Extension Center
- Lindcove Research & Extension Center
- Shafter Research & Extension Center
- Sierra Foothill Research & Extension Center
- South Coast Research & Extension Center
- West Side Research & Extension Center
- Agricultural Issues Center - Analyzes issues important to California and western agriculture and conducts applied research.
- California 4-H Youth Development Program - Helps 100,000 young Californians become responsible adults.
- Centers for Water Resources - Supports research and extension efforts in water- and wildland-related issues throughout California.
- Expanded Food and Nutrition Program - Teaches low-income families (particularly those with young children) to make the most of their food resources and meet their nutritional needs.
- Giannini Foundation of Agricultural Economics - Supports library and research activities in agricultural economics and the University of California.
- Integrated Hardwood Range Management Program - Dedicated to the conservation of California's 10 million acres of oak woodlands.
- Integrated Pest Management Program - Develops and promotes the use of integrated and ecologically sound pest management programs in California.
- Kearney Foundation of Soil Science - An endowment-supported program that funds research and sponsors outreach activities directed to its current five-year mission (Understanding and Managing Soil-Ecosystem Functions across Spatial and Temporal Scales).
- Master Gardener Program - UC-trained volunteers extend research-based information to the public about home horticulture and pest management. The information is provided to the public in classes, via telephone hotlines, at community events and in demonstration gardens.
- Mosquito Research Program - Funds and coordinates research and education on mosquito-borne diseases and environmentally safe methods to improve mosquito control.
- Office of Pesticide Information and Coordination - Coordinates and reviews ANR activities pertaining to pesticide research, experimentation, and use.
- Renewable Resources Extension Act Program - Addresses educational needs in managing the nation's renewable resources.
- Sea Grant Extension Program - The California branch of a national effort that supports advanced research on marine issues of vital concern.
- Small Farm Center - Provides production and marketing information to farmers who are not reached by traditional extension programs.
- Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program - Integrates three main goals: environmental health, economic profitability, and social and economic equity.