The Top Navigation is very similar to the Left Navigation. Adding Pages and Adding links to the Top Navigation are the exact same as the Left Navigation. The Top Navigation does not have any visibility options to complicate the Top Navigation Administration. If you add links to the Top Navigation then you will have a Top Navigation.
Edit Top Navigation
To edit the Top Navigation click on "Edit Top Navigation" from the left menu in the Site Builder 3.0 Administrator.
The options look almost exactly the same as for the Left Navigation:
On the Management page one can:
- Add Page to Top Navigation - Adds a link to one of your site's pages to the Top Navigation.
- Add Link to Top Navigation - Adds a link to anywhere in the Top Navigation.
- Change the link order - Use the up / down arrows to change the order in which the links are displayed.
- Go to Page Content - Clicking on a page name will take you to the content of that page.
- Remove Item - Remove a link from the Top Navigation. The Page still exists, but it is not shown on the Top Navigation.
- Edit Dropdown - Allows other links to be added to the Top Navigation under the current link. On the site when the mouse is moved over the link a Dropdown box will appear with all the links for this drop down.
- Edit Link - Edits a link that was added to the Navigation
Adding a Page to the Top Navigation is straight forward. After clicking the link you will be presented with a drop down list of all your pages.
Choose the page you'd like to add and click "Add Page".
Adding a Link to the Top Navigation / Edit Link
Adding a link to the Top Navigation requires 3 pieces of information.
- Name for Link
- URL (destination address) - ex: http://ucanr.org/calendar/
- Link Opens - can be opens "In Same Window" or "In New Window"
enter the required information and click "Add Page". Don't forget to test your link!
This works exactly like the Adding Top Navigation links and Left Navigation links. It's important to recognize that these links will appear as a Dropdown Navigation item for a specific Top Navigation link only. If you are going to use this, the links should be well organized and logically planned out.
Here's the results of the above Dropdown Navigation:
While this type of navigation looks appealing it can be very confusing and make your site hard to navigate. Because of this we recommend that Dropdown Navigation only be used as a last resort.