The Left Navigation can be found in the left hand column of the site. This usually contains all the links to the different areas of your site. If your using a Top Navigation combined with the Left Navigation, then we recommend you use the Top Navigation for "Administrative" links (site-wide links like contacts) and the Left Navigation for the "Programmatic" links (content).
Left Navigation Site-wide Options
The Left Navigation has a few options that are used across the entire site. These can be changed at any time so you can see which works best for you. The Left Navigation options are:
- Visible - Show the Left Navigation
- Hidden - Hide the Left Navigation (also possible to hide the navigation on each individual page)
- Contextual - Show a contextual Left Navigation that is based upon the current page. A very good choice for complex websites. The Help site (this site) uses contextual navigation.
These options can be found in the "Site Info & Appearance" link in the Site Builder 3.0 administration area.
Edit Left Navigation
To edit the Left Navigation select the "Edit Left Navigation" link in the left column. The left Navigation has some default links, and child pages (sub pages) are added automatically with a parent page.
Once there you will see the "Left Navigation Manager". This is a list of all the links on the Left Navigation.
On the Management page one can:
- Add Page to Left Navigation - Adds a link to one of your site's pages to the Left Navigation.
- Add Link to Left Navigation - Adds a link to anywhere in the Left Navigation.
- Edit Content Logos - This is allows you to add some text or logos below the list of links in the Left Navigation.
- Add All Parent Pages - Adds all the parent pages from your website to the Left Navigation.
- Change the link order - Use the up / down arrows to change the order in which the links are displayed.
- Go to Page Content - Clicking on a page name will take you to the content of that page.
- Remove Item - Remove a link from the Left Navigation. The Page still exists, but it is not shown on the Left Navigation.
- Edit Link - Edits a link that was added to the Navigation
Adding a Page to the Left Navigation is straight forward. After clicking the link you will be presented with a drop down list of all your pages.
Choose the page you'd like to add and click "Add Page".
Adding a Link to the Left Navigation / Edit Link
Adding a link to the Left Navigation requires 3 pieces of information.
- Name for Link
- URL (destination address) - ex: http://ucanr.org/calendar/
- Link Opens - can be opens "In Same Window" or "In New Window"
enter the required information and click "Add Page". Don't forget to test your link!
Edit Content Logo
This is a WYSIWYG text box. You can add images by using the file library and entering file codes.
Left Navigation in each Page Properties
In each page you are given the option to make the Left Navigation "Hidden" or "Visible". It is recommended to keep all the pages consistent and similar in the site to avoid confusion, yet sometimes this is needed or desired.