• Chuck Ingels, Sacramento County Farm and Horticulture Advisor spoke at Harvest Day 2012 about packaged soil amendments. "What's in that Bag?—Soil Amendments" describes the project and provides a link to the handout that accompanied his presentation.
• If you know the nature of your soil, you'll know the types of problems you might expect and ways to deal with them. Know Your Soil tells how to analyze your soil. (PDF, 80Kb)
• Hardpan soils present problems; Garden and Landscape Plantings on Hardpan Soils describes ways to overcome the difficulties. (PDF, 78Kb)
• Managing Clay Soil in gardens and landscape plantings describes ways to improve clay soils. (PDF)
• Layered soils can cause growing difficulties for plants. Improving Layered Soils for garden and landscape plantings will help eliminate the problems. (PDF)
• This UC IPM article describes soil solarization, a non-chemical method to control disease and insect pests found in the soil, and help improve the soil structure.