Water Efficient Plants
• Attracting Beneficial Insects to Your Garden describes a variety of plants that will attract the insects you'd love to have as helpers in your garden. (PDF 171kb)
• Fair Oaks Horticulture Center Water Efficient Landscape gardens plant list. (PDF 130kb)
• Fair Oaks Horticulture Center Water Efficient Landscape gardens California native garden plant list. (PDF 120kb)
• Ornamental Grasses explains how to select, plant and care for ornamental grasses; includes a chart with specific information about more than 30 ornamental grasses. (PDF 92kb)
• The UC Davis Arboretum All-Stars are 100 tough, reliable plants that don’t need a lot of water, have few problems with pests or diseases, and have outstanding qualities in the garden.
• Learn about rain gardens from the Sacramento County Stormwater Quality Program and the River Friendly Landscaping Coalition.
• Urban Bee Gardens provides information about the importance of native bees and how to attract them to your garden; developed through the bee lab of Dr. Gordon Frankie of the University of California Berkeley.
• How to manage pests on flowers from the UC IPM website.
• Interested in learning about water efficient turf grasses or lawn alternatives? Read about the Turf Demonstration Project conducted by Sacramento County Cooperative Extension Farm Advisor Chuck Ingels.