Gardening Guide & Calendar
The NEW 2013 Gardening Guide and Calendar will be available at Harvest Day!
The information below is about the sold-out 2012 Gardening Guide and Calendar.
River friendly gardening is based on seven easy principles that help you create a healthy, beautiful landscape while protecting and caring for our environment, even if you don't live right by a river! Every month the Gardening Guide features tips based on one of the principles of River-Friendly Landscaping:
- Landscape locally—select native or adapted plants suited to your climate, soil conditions, sun exposure, and available space
- Protect water and air quality
- Nurture the soil
- Conserve energy
- Conserve water
- Landscape for less to the landfill—minimize yard waste
- Create and protect wildlife habitat—plant to attract birds, bees, butterflies, beneficial insects
A well designed and maintained River-Friendly Landscape can cost you less in the long run. Work less, save money, help improve air and water quality, and have a beautiful landscape. What's not to like about that? The 2012 Gardening Guide suggests how you can follow these principles in your own landscape to benefit both you and your environment.
To see a preview of the 2012 Gardening Guide click here.
All proceeds from sales help support Sacramento County UC Master Gardener projects so we can continue to offer you events like Harvest Day, workshops at the Fair Oaks Horticulture Center, plant clinics, and many more gardening support activities.
Key Features of the Gardening Guide:
- The Gardening Guide is written specifically for the Sacramento area, not "Northern California" or the Bay area, covering 12 months, from January 2012 through December 2012.
- The Gardening Guide gives you month by month gardening maintenance suggestions, watering information, and how to handle pests and diseases, all based on University of California-approved information.
- The calendar pages have space to write appointments and can be used as a journal to record gardening activities (like what, when and where the user has planted something, or when the aphids arrive in the spring).
Special features of the 2012 Gardening Guide:
- Special articles address how to—
- select, plant, and care for shade trees in the Sacramento Valley
- plan and plant a California native/Mediterranean garden, with information about the UC Davis Arboretum All-Stars—100 tough, reliable, tested plants
- attract beneficial insects with insectary plants
- avoid planting invasive garden plants, including suggested suitable alternatives
- Every month features information about a local horticulture trip
- Also featured are a Vegetable Planting Schedule, a glossary, and color photos dotted throughout
The 2012 Gardening Guide & Calendar may be available at these Sacramento area retail locations. Call for availability. Please note that prices may vary.
4700 Freeport Blvd
5410 Sunrise Blvd
Citrus Heights, CA
8423 Elk Grove Blvd
Elk Grove, CA
Fair Oaks Blvd Nursery
4681 Fair Oaks Blvd
Talini’s Nursery & Garden Center
5601 Folsom Blvd
Green Acres Nursery & Supply
8401 Jackson Road
The Gifted Gardener
1730 J Street