Get Your Parents Involved
What you can do to involve parents and caregivers:
• Use the parent letters provided in your curriculum. Copy and hand out letters after each nutrition lesson you teach. Parent letters give insight in to what the children have learned, along with follow-up activities to do at home. To view a sample of a family newsletter from the Happy, Healthy Me curriculum, see the parent letter in English and Spanish.
• Request a parent nutrition workshop with Let's Eat Healthy!
• Provide Nibbles for Health nutrition newsletters for parents and caregivers from Team Nutrition.
• Ask parents to volunteer their time or donate materials for classroom activities.
• If your school site has a garden, ask parents to help with planting, maintenance and harvesting. Contact the University of California Cooperative Extension's Master Gardener Program for gardening questions and resources.
• Sign up for the Eat and Play Together! family-centered nutrition series.
• Schedule the adult series Plan, Shop, Save & Cook.