Reading Across MyPyramid, Kindergarten to Third Grade
Reading across MyPyramid-Elementary School
Reading Across MyPyramid is a nutiriton and literacy program developed for kindergarten through 3rd grade. Children learn about food and nutrition by having children's storybooks with food-related themes read to them and then participating in hands-on nutiriton activities.
Each lesson includes a lesson preview, nutrition objectives, life skills, background information for the instructor, guidelines for discussion before and after reading the story, nutrition lesson and activities based on the MyPyramid, list of supplies needed, supplemental activities, other books children might enjoy, recipes, quiz, and letters to parents (to be signed by the instructor). This curriculum correlates to the State Department of Education Standards http://fsnep.ucdavis.edu/education/materials.html.
•To encourage children to make healthy food choices.
•To help children develop good health and nutrition habits.
•To promote reading and listening skills for 5-9 year olds.
•Expand the variety of foods from all food groups that children include in their diet.
•Add more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains to their diet.
•Construct a diet lower in fat and sugar.
Lesson 1. Discovering MyPyramid
- Grades K-1 I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato by Lauren Child
- Grades 2-3 The Hungry Thing by Jan Slepian and Ann Seidler
Lesson 2. Great Grains and Bountiful Breads
- Grades K-1 Bread, Bread, Bread by Ann Morris
- Grades 2-3 Everybody Cooks Rice by Norah Dooley
Lesson 3. Versatile Vegetables
- Grades K-1 Tops and Bottoms by Janet Stevens
- Grades 2-3 The Ugly Vegetables by Grace Lin
Lesson 4. Fabulous Fruits
- Grades K-1 Handa's Surprise by Eileen Browne
- Grades 2-3 How Do You Raise a Raisin? by Pam Munoz Ryan
Lesson 5. Marvelous Milk!
- Grade K-1 Milk: From Cow to Carton by Aliki
- Grade 2-3 COW by Jules Older
Lesson 6. Meat and Beans Power
- Grade K-1 Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
- Grade 2-3 Mice and Beans by Pam Munoz Ryan
Lesson 7. Sensational Snacks
- Grades K-1 The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Grades 2-3 The Seven Silly Eaters by Mary Ann Hoberman
Lesson 8. Count Five for Variety!
- Grades K-1 Pete's a Pizza by William Steig
- Grades 2-3 Nothing Beats a Pizza by Loris Lesynski
Lesson 9. Kid's Physical Activity Pyramid
- Grades K-1 Can You Move Like an Elephant? by Judy Hindley
- Grades 2-3 Let's Exercise by Alice McGinty
Lesson 10. Don't Give Germs a Hand
- Grades K-1 Those mean Nasty Dirty Downright Disgustingbut...Invisible Germs by Judith Anne Rice
- Grades 2-3 Germs Make Me Sick! by Melvin Berger
Lesson 11. Let's Make A Meal
- Grades K-1 Feast for Ten by Cathryn Falwell
- Grades 2-3 Spaghetti and Meatballs for All by Marilyn Burns