Eating Healthy from Farm to Fork . . . Promoting School Wellness, Kindergarten
Experiential in nature, the lessons actively engage the children in learning about healthy choices for food and fitness. The materials support the development of a positive school wellness environment that recognizes the relationship between health and nutrition and academic achievement and school success.
Each lesson includes lesson introduction, objectives, nutrition competencies, teacher background information, two activities, making the connection, recipe activity, review, and parent letter.
Goals: Children will make healthy food and exercise choices by developing positive attitudes towards foods and fitness.
•Expand their consumption of fruits, vegetables and grains.
•Expand the variety of their diets.
•Recognize MyPyramid and identify it as a guide to eating healthy and exercise.
•Increase their understanding of the food continuum from farm production to consumption.
• Lesson 1: Essentials for Eating Healthy and Gardening
° MyPyramid For Kids Poster
° MyPyramid Puzzle
° Plant Parts Diagram
° Soil, Sun, Water and Air Cutouts
• Lesson 2: Food and Garden Safety
° Wash Hands Cards -Before & After
° Hand Washing Poster
° Caution & Warning Signs
º Stop & Think!
° Kitchen Picture
• Lesson 3: Getting Ready to Cook and Garden
º Garden Tools
º Kitchen Tools
• Lesson 4: Food and Garden Discovery - Grains
° Grain Plants
• Lesson 5: Food and Garden Discovery - Vegetables
º Plant Parts Diagram & Words
º Food Form Cards
• Lesson 6: Food and Garden Discovery - Fruit
º Our Favorite Fruits-Chart
• Lesson 7: Food and Garden Discovery - Milk
° Healthy Bones & Teeth
° Growth Graphic
• Lesson 8: Food and Garden Discovery - Meat & Beans
° Plant and Animal Proteins
° Farm Animals
• Lesson 9: Get Moving at School and in the Garden
• Lesson 10: Food and Garden Choices and Diversity
° Food Models