About the California Multi-Species Grazing/Browsing Academy
This Academy is a unique and exciting program emphasizing the practical application of controlled grazing/browsing principles to improve the environment and increase ranch profit. This challenging course consists of a minimum of lecture and a maximum of hands-on experience. Participants learn by actually applying the principles taught in the range and pasture with live animals.
- Roger Ingram, Livestock and Natural Resources Advisor Placer and Nevada Counties
- An Peischel, Small Ruminant Specialist, Tennessee State University
Who Should Attend
Ranchers, land managers and agency personnel who manage livestock on privately owned or public pasture and rangeland.
After Completing the Academy, course participants will be able to:
- Assess the condition of the four basic ecological processes that determine ranch productivity.
- Apply principles of time and stock density to improve pasture productivity and stock performance.
- Estimate carrying capacity.
- Determine the supplementation needs of grazing/browsing sheep and goats.
- Design a layout to efficiently use resources and apply controlled grazing principles that will immediately improve grazing management on your own ranch.
- Identify target plants to be grazed to determine best time of the year to graze/browse.
- Apply principles of time control, animal impact, and stock density to reduce fuel loads and control invasive species.
- Monitor results of grazing/browsing by using the indicators of rangeland health to determine whether grazing/browsing strategies are meeting desired goals and if any change is needed.
- Understand how to get started in contract grazing.
- Predator control using guard dogs.
- Marketing options, including strategies for different classes of goats and sheep stock.
- Develop a herd health and breeding program.
- Apply principles of animal behavior to reduce handling stress.
Event Information and Registration
|Date:||September 13- 15, 2013|
|Cost:||$160 includes meals, and course materials
NO walk-in registrations due to set-up needed for hands-on activities
NO REFUNDS - Your payment guarantees your space
Click here to enroll On-Line
Click here to print out and mail in your registration form
Registration Closes September 6, 2013