Sustaining Your School Garden
To keep your garden running year after year, we recommend that you assign responsibilities for garden tasks and create a schedule that can be passed along each year to volunteers, staff and children. Your documentation may include:
- what needs to be done and who will do it
- garden activities and lesson plans
- safety guidelines for proper handling of tools, soil amendments etc.
In addition, you will benefit from performing the following annual tasks to ensure your garden is well maintained.
- If you have irrigation, inspect any irrigation materials for leaks and opportunities to save water. Document your water schedule to pass down to future garden helpers.
- Suppress weeds by mulching around beds and remove weeds before seed.
- Amend your soil with compost or cover crops.