Around Marin County December 2010
Marin Farm News:
- Pey-Marin Vineyards was honored on September 29 at the James Beard House, New York City, when its 2008 Pey-Marin Riesling was served at a dinner celebrating Marin-grown produce.
- Cowgirl Creamery has just opened Sidekick, a cheese and dairy-centric eatery, at a space next to their cheese shop at the Ferry Building in San Francisco.
Upcoming Events - Save the Dates:
- The Annual Grafting Workshop will be held February 24, 2011, at Indian Valley College. More info to come.
- Sonoma County Food Forum, February 24, 2011, 8:30-4:30. Call UCCE Sonoma, 707-565-2621, for information.
(3 Sessions) This 3-part series provides small business start-up information to people who have developed a business concept and have initiated the planning process to start their business. Upon finishing all 3 modules, the new client checklist and completing a simple business plan outline provided by the Small Business Development Center, you may begin working individually with a business advisor at no cost to you. Module I- Planning & Legal Structure, Tuesday 1/11/11 Module II- Marketing & Financing, Wednesday 1/12/11 Module III- Business Plan, Thursday 1/13/11 Instructor- Tina Eastman
Date & time: Tue, 01/11/2011 - 5:30pm - Thu, 01/13/2011 - 8:30pm
Location: 405 4TH St.
Read more about it!
Publications and Websites:
- Newly-published poisonous plant leaflet: http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8398.pdf.
- Smartphone ap delivers soil data to growers in the field: https://www.soils.org/files/publications/sssaj/abstracts/74-5/s10-0144nabs.pdf.
- USDA Specialty Crop Report: http://www.rma.usda.gov/pubs/2010/specialtycrop.pdf.
- Weed Photo Gallery: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/weeds_intro.html.
Two important items from Ag Commmissioner/Marin Organic Certified Agriculture (MOCA):
- Ag Commmissioner/MOCA has just hired a new Inspector Trainee to help with organic/MOCA inspections and weights and measures inspections. MOCA is accepting organic certification applicants. For organic certification applications or questions, please call 415-499-6700 and speak to Anita Sauber or Jeff Stiles.
- USDA has provided funds to the CDFA Organic Program for organic certification cost share reimbursement. All operations that have been certified by a USDA-accredited certifier are eligible for certification reimbursements. Eligible entities will be reimbursed up to 75 percent of their organic certification costs, not to exceed $750 for the period of 10/1/2010 to 9/30/2011. Applications can be downloaded at the CDFA website at: http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/is/i_&_c/organic.html