Around Marin County - September 2011
Marin Farm News:
- Local Apple Tasting Workshop on Thursday, September 22 from 1-4 p.m. Bring your local apples to Apple Garden Cottage in Tomales for the UCCE Blind Apple Tasting Event. Hear John Valenzuela, Chairperson of the Golden Gate chapter of California Rare Fruit Growers, speak about what to look for in choosing a good varietal fruit for your area. Register online or call Bonnie at (415) 499-4201. Donation $20.
- 17th Annual Dairy Sheep Symposium in Petaluma, November 3-6. The major annual event of the dairy sheep industry in North America, the symposium will be held on the Pacific Coast for the first time, at the Sheraton Sonoma County. For more information, visit http://www.dsana.org/symposia.
- Each Sunday in September and October, Mike and Sally Gale host a U Pick from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Organic apples, pears, and tomatoes are avaialble. Colorful pastured eggs may also be purchased. Children may visit the chickens, sheep, pigs, and cows, and play with the springer spaniels, Toby and Max. Guests are advised to call 707-765-6664 for reservations. Directions to Chileno Valley Ranch can be found at www.chilenobnb.com and www.chilenobeef.com.
- Moretti Family Dairy wins dairy of the year. The Moretti Family Dairy was awarded the Edward J. Maddalena Memorial trophy during the Sonoma County Fair’s Dairy Cattle Show on August 6.
- Pey-Marin Vineyards’ 2010 Riesling dubbed “The benchmarck for other Rieslings in the state.” San Francisco Magazine (June 2011) called this West Marin Riesling one of “the eight California wines that are igniting conversation.” Go to www.PeyMarin.com.
Publications and Websites:
- New UCCE cost studies, including “Sample Costs to Produce Strawberries, 2010, Central Coast,” are available for free downloading at http://coststudies.ucdavis.edu, at UC Cooperative Extension offices, or by calling (530) 752-3589.
- UC just published - “Farmstead and Artisan Cheeses: A Guide to Building a Business” at: http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/Items/3522.aspx and the second edition of “Agritourism and Nature Tourism in California” at http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/Items/3484.aspx.
- Online Food Processing Certification Course: http://www.fruitandvegetable.ucdavis.edu/Cooperative_Extension_Short_Courses/Better_Process_Control_School_Online/.