San Diego County Council & Advisory Committees
Volunteer Management Organization San Diego County 4-H
San Diego County 4-H has a chartered county council or volunteer management organization (VMO) that is authorized through the 4-H charter process to use the 4-H name and emblem and conduct the countywide 4-H YDP events and activities for educational purposes.
San Diego County 4-H county council is organized to assist the University of California Cooperative Extension (UCCE) in planning, promoting and carrying out 4-H youth development work. The San Diego County council is chartered by the UCCE and operate in compliance with UC policies and the mission, core values, and framework of the 4-H YDP. Policy interpretations are made by 4-H YDP staff, the county director and the statewide 4-H YDP office, which are authorized under federal and state statutes to organize and administer the 4-H YDP in the State of California.
The specific purposes for which the San Diego County council is organized shall be to:
- Help implement programs and projects based upon the educational framework of the 4-H YDP and the educational goals and standards as identified by the county and state 4-H YDP staff.
- Help ensure that all county 4-H YDP programming is consistent with the 4-H YDP mission and direction, guiding principles, core values and 4-H program criteria checklist.
- Build mechanisms to achieve affirmative action goals and develop a management body whose membership is representative of the diversity of the community.
- Include involvement of members in county council operations and decision-making.
- Set limitations on term length and succession of adult volunteers to distribute more service opportunities.
- Develop mechanisms to recommend solutions to problems and disputes within the county 4-H YDP.
- Facilitate mechanisms for providing training and support of adult volunteers and youth.
- Facilitate community involvement to contribute to program focus and direction.
- Facilitate the expansion of programs into new communities.
San Diego County council operates as tax exempt, nonpolitical, educational organizations cooperating with 4-H YDP staff in furtherance of 4-H youth development work in California.
Current Serving Board Members of County Council
Fallbrook 4-H Club
Alpine Amigos 4-H Club
Community Club Leader - Jamul Chaparros
All Star - Escondido 4-H Club
Escondido 4-H Club
South Section Council and State Council
San Diego County is part of a larger region of 4-H programs. Volunteer Management Organizations are also created to help manage the programs. Each county works independently of other counties, the Sectional councils help coordinate various competitions and events that allow greater socialization in 4-H.
The California 4-H South Section Leader's Council and South Section Teen Council hold events, provide resources, and share state 4-H information to the nine counties of the South Section: Imperial, San Diego, Riverside, Orange, San Bernardino, Los Angeles, Ventura, San Louis Obispo, and Santa Barbara.
Both the leader's council and the teen council meet quarterly in Los Angeles County, and any adult volunteers or 4-H members (ages 13-19) are welcome to attend the council meetings to become more involved in the 4-H program beyond their county level.
More information about Southern Leaders' Council can be found here:
State Leaders' Council
The Southern Section Leaders' Council is a sub council of the State Leaders' Council. More information about the California State leaders' Council can be found here: