Roger A Duncan
3800 Cornucopia Way
Modesto, CA 95358
SpecialtyAlmonds, Peaches, Grapes, misc. tree fruit
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Plant Commodities and Products
- Fruit and Nut Crop
- Deciduous Tree Fruits
- Stone Fruits - General
- Plants and Their Systems
- Plant Management Systems
- Insects, Mites, and Other Arthropods Affecting Plants
- Integrated Pest Management Systems
- Soil, Plant, Water, Nutrient Relationships
Beginning on January 1, 2011, I assumed the role as acting county director in Stanislaus County. I also serve as the pomology & viticulture advisor. My advisor responsibilities include conducting research and education programs for growers, pest control advisors, consultants and other industries related to the approximately 150,000 acres of almonds, peaches, and wine grapes in Stanislaus County. I also serve as a source of information for growers of other miscellaneous tree fruit species. Although Stanislaus County is a major agricultural area, my large clientele base (2125 farms) is comprised mostly of small acreage growers, where approximately 75% of the farms are 40 acres or fewer. My research efforts include evaluation of rootstocks, pruning systems, alternatives to pre-plant fumigation, labor reduction in peaches, tree fertility and all aspects of integrated pest management.
- Adaskaveg, J., R. Duncan, et al. (2011). Diseases. UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines: Peach. UC ANR. Pub #3454
- Day, K., R. Duncan, et al. (2011). Nematodes. UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines: Peach. UC ANR. Pub #3454
- Duncan, R., B. Holtz, et al. (2011). Sample Costs to Develop an Orchard and Produce Flood Irrigated Almonds: San Joaquin Valley North.
- Duncan, R., B. Holtz, et al. (2011). Sample Costs to Develop an Orchard and Produce Microsprinkler Irrigated Almonds: San Joaquin Valley North.
- Norton, M., J. Hasey, et al. (2011). Sample Costs to Establish and Produce Processing Peaches in the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valleys: Extra Early Harvested Varieties.
- Norton, M., J. Hasey, et al. (2011). Sample Costs to Establish and Produce Processing Peaches in the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valleys: Late Harvested Varieties.
- Curtis, R., T. Gradziel, et al. (2011). Almond checklist: disease and insect susceptibility, kernel quality and â??fitâ?? for your farming operation and style. Western Farm Press.
- Northcutt, G. and R. Duncan (2011). Despite challenge by blossom blast, Stanislaus County almond trees set an average or better crop. Tree Nut Farm Press electronic newsletter. May 2011
- Duncan, R. and M. Norton (2011). Field Performance of Sixteen Rootstocks in an Unfumigated, Sandy Loam, Replant Location. County Publication.
- Duncan, R. (2011). Hull samples for boron analysis. Almond Doctor weekly blog. Merced County,
- Duncan, R. (2011). Hull sampling at harvest to determine boron deficiency. Tree and Vine Newsletter. Merced County University of California Cooperative Extension. September 2011
- Adaskaveg, J.E., J. Haseyy, et al. (2011). Management of Peach Leaf Curl - New Approaches for an Ever Present Disease. The Scoop on Fruits and Nuts in Stanislaus County. 15: 3.
- Duncan, R. (2011). New Options for Almond Rootstocks. County publication.
- Duncan, R. (2011). New Peach Blossom Thinning Machine Improves Fruit Quality and Yield While Reducing Hand Labor Needs. Stanislaus Farm Bureau Newsletter. February 2011
- Duncan, R. and M. Norton (2011). Review of String Blossom Thinner Trials in Stanislaus County. County Publication.
- Curtis, R., T. Gradziel, et al. (2011). Selecting almond varieties â?? Bloom, pollination and harvest considerations. Western Farm Press.
- Anderson, K. and R. Duncan (2011). Stanislaus Area Orchard and Vineyard Service Directory.
- Almond: UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines
- Integrated Pest Management for Almonds, 2nd Edition
- Nectarine: UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines
- Seasonal Guide to Environmentally Responsible Pest Mgmt....
California Agriculture Article Contributions
- Survey examines the adoption of perceived best management practices for almond nutrition
- Soil sterilization and organic carbon, but not microbial inoculants, change microbial communities in replanted peach orchards
- BIOS and conventional almond orchard management compared
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Cling Peach - Chair
- Almond - Member
- Integrated Grape Production - Member
- Integrated Pest Management of Glassy Winged Sharpshooters and the Diseases they Vector - Member
- Pest Management in ANR - Member
- Pistachio - Member
- Pomology Extension Coordinating Conference (PECC) - Member